Ok, the title it’s a bit demanding but when someone asks you this question regarding inventory here is a hint that will help you on your quest of finding all the “stuff”.
Dynamics GP has several reports built in as well inquiries concerning inventory items, the most important in my career so far are the following:
Back-Ordered Items Received Report
I have seen in the past (not so distant) where customers are more into “Integrating” orders from various external systems or Web stores, when they integrate data into GP via Web services, a customization using eConnect, integration manager or any other type of magic we have to deal with items that we do not have in stock. We need to quickly identify which Items in order to make sure that our shipping process is on time to the customer.
This particular report contains information for sales documents that were linked to a purchase order, with cost information up to date and those quantities allocated and fulfilled on sales orders.
- Go to Reports > Purchasing > Analysis
- Once the Purchasing Analysis Reports window opens, from the drop down choose Back Ordered Items Received.
- Create New or modify if existing reports are available
- If you created a new report, make sure you enter a report name
- If you need, you can filter the Item Numbers for this report, if you want to report on all items do not enter an Item number range
- Select your destination (Printer, Screen, File)
- Print the report.
Item Inquiry Options
The item inquiry window allows us to view inventory related transactions, it provides a nice summary window for all sites of inventory or a particular site id.
The item transaction inquiry window allows us to view any posted transaction for a particular item from any GP module.
If you are using FIFO (its not limited but it’s the best fit) the Purchase Receipts Inquiry window should be your best friend because it brings all the purchase receipts that exist for a particular item.
I do personally work very well with Item Allocation and Item Stock inquiry windows.
- Go to Inquiry > Inventory
- Choose the desired inquiry window
A cool feature that you might find great is that some inquiry windows allows you to go into a deeper level using the Go To windows, or they might have a printer icon, which allows you to print your current view.
Stock Status Report
Last on today’s post is the Stock Status report, which provides us with up to date information on each update like:
- Inventory Value
- Quantities on Hand, Allocated, On Order, Back Ordered, Requisitioned
- Current cost
How can we get this report?
- Reports > Inventory > Activity
- From the reports drop down choose Stock Status
- Create new or modify existing
- Choose sites or all
- You can select to include serial numbers/ negative quantities / Zero quantities
- You can filter by item, description, class, manufacturer, bin and much more
- choose your report destination and print it.
So here you have a few options that will help you on your quest finding “stuff” if you are on GP 10 SP5 or greater you have an additional tool at your fingertips and its called "HITB: The Historical Inventory Trial Balance” it depends if your organization has this tool enabled and setup it will provide you with additional information.
Francisco G. Hillyer