Back from Fargo from the partner event 2008. Ran in the sunrise scramble and came in 3rd place (think there was only 4 people that ran). It was nice to interact with everyone and was impressed with Frances Serrano’s moves on the dance floor at “Prom Night”.
Here are a few take aways from the conference. (blatantly plagiarized from an internal email from our CEO, Linda Rose)
- If you haven’t heard Project Green is officially DEAD. Meaning there will not be a next version of the software that will combine all the products into one – the feeling was that it would just create a 5th product for Microsoft to support since no one would get off the ones they were on (Solomon, Nav, GP or Ax).
- 64 bit for BP will NOT be supported – Microsoft will support SharePoint (WSS) and SharePoint Server (MOSS) on 64bit, but not Business Portal – which is an “add on” to SharePoint.
- Version 11 of GP will feature some new forms in word – meaning you will probably be able to modify the invoices, etc in word instead of report writer.
- No, report writer is NOT going away, even though they will come out with additional reports on SSRS. No official word on FRX yet, but my guess is it isn’t going anywhere either.
- GP will NOT be rewritten as a Web application. But it will become more hosting friendly.
- ERP will NOT be hosted by Microsoft. Only CRM.
- An announcement will be made at Convergence about GP and CRM having some “out of the box” integrations – like accounts, addresses, etc.
- Also the Migrations Team will do any and all migrations for QuickBooks, including changing the chart of accounts. NICE. (we just need to supply them with the info.)